UK Media Spend by Channel: from 1999 to 2018
Brightblue have built a dynamic chart showing the progression of media spend split by channel over the past 20 years – worth noting the gains by PPC/Google seemingly to the expense of Press, whilst TV spend has remained strong. The big question is if this is the right media mix for effectiveness?
See the video below:
- PPC and digital spend increases from a standing start in 2005 to being the largest and third largest channels in 2018
- Digital spend increases come at the expense of Newsbrands which has seen investment reduce from £4.3bn in 2000 to £1.5bn in 2018
- TV spend has grown in line with inflation over the period
- Total media investment has increased by over £10bn from £9.5bn in 99’ to £19.7bn
- Increase in Digital spend appears to have grown overall media investment. With media investment growing significantly above inflation since 1999. Note: total investment in 2018 would be £14bn if it had increased in line with inflation